A Rare Glimpse

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Navs Retreat Part 2

Hm...it's been awhile since I lasted posted. But anyways, someone asked me what I did at the Navigators retreat, so here is part 2!

There were 17 of us going in three cars, so it was nice getting to know some of the first years in the car I was in. I think if it wasn't for that intimate setting, I would not have had the chance, energy or nerve to get to know some of the first years. All those crazy riddles and jokes about mushrooms, etc made for great bonding time, esp. when it got pitch dark outside on the ride to camp.

The camp site was a great place, up in the beautiful Muskokas. The leaves were already starting to turn colour, so backdrop that with a glowing sunset and you get a sense of the fabulous weekend we had and the reminder of just how awesome our Creator is!

Our speaker, who is national director of Navigators Canada, had some great insight to share with us. A few things that really stood out to me: he mentioned a quote (can't remember who said it) that made me think, because it kinda describes who I am (paraphrase) - often we are satisfied with just "shouting" the gospel to others from afar. We, and I, don't create meaningful friendships because it takes time, effort. Evangelism is a journey, a dance, a story, not a project, contest, or sales pitch. I guess I have to admit, I'm one of those people who are satisfied with keeping most friendships at arms length. Investing time and effort into someone's life is not my strength; I'm still learning, and I know I've hurt some people along the way, and I apologize for that, and please bear with me as I continue to learn and grow as a Christian.

Eric Stolte also talked about sacrifices we make as Christians and the "temples we worship" to try and achieve or gain a certain worldly reality. Three of these sacrifices spoke to me: 1) the "temple" of recognition/significance, and the "magical thinking" that I can achieve immortality through hard work, service, making a lasting impression or impact on people. I end up sacrificing humility because I become proud; the unseen reality is, I am immortal in Christ (Mat. 16:27), and my significance is anchored in Christ. 2) the "temple" of value/work, and the "magical thinking" that my performance is what really matters. I end up sacrificing joy because I pretend to be someone I am not; the unseen reality is that through Jesus' death on the cross for me, I can be who I am truly made to be, since my value is in Him and I don't need to put on a mask. 3) the "temple" of security/identity, and the "magical thinking" that I am in control. I end up sacrificing contentment because in this world, it will never be enough and I will fail over and over again; the unseen reality is that my identity is found in Christ, when I surrender to His lordship. Those are only 3 of 5, but it is what I personally need to work on...putting this all into words makes it so much more concrete for me...they're not just ideas floating in my head anymore. Please pray for me as I work on these areas of my life, that I would persevere.

During free time, I got to try out the high ropes! So much fun! And who knew our arms/forearms and hands had so many obscure muscles!!?? After clenching ropes for 5-10 minutes straight, so that I could walk along a tight rope without falling off, I suddenly discovered those obscure muscles! :) Anyways, that's enough mind babbling for a day.